week 2...

Niall2 Posted by Niall Manogue on Sat, 22 Apr 2006 | 8 comments | Bookmark: digg this Post this to del.icio.us Post this to Facebook

So, I've been here for over 2 weeks now, so it seems appropriate to offer some thoughts on what has been going on. I've moved into my new house, which is just great. Got all my pictures and paraphenalia up so it's looking lush! Work has continued to be great – though the reality of actually what we are doing at the hospital is pretty overwhelming. I was out in the community this week and it was pretty shocking to see the level of poverty. Things that you and I take for granted clearly aren't the reality here. I've travelled in Africa before so thought I was used to seeing this – thankfully that is not the case. We were involved in delivering nutrition education and met a young boy . I reckon he's about 3 or 4 (though you never know with children here due to malnutrition and the like), HIV +, and has a huge abcess on the side of his face… and yet… I have never seen a child with a broader smile. Challenging stuff – he has had the worst start in life and yet still finds joy in everyday living. I live in luxury, even here where it is more basic than home, and I don't often see that joy… Things to think about. What makes me happy? What makes you happy?

Comments

Ronan said Sun, 23 Apr 2006 06:04PM
Good to hear things are going well mate. I shuddered when I read all pictures and paraphenalia were up but trust you have curbed your haphazard approach to using nails, hammers and drills... Take care, you're in the thoughts of everyone in Cambridge.
Paul T said Mon, 24 Apr 2006 02:42PM
Sounds as if everything is going well. I'm looking forward to hearing how you settle in to work. I can't believe you expected it to feel like home after a week! Calm down calm down, it'll come. Obviously your friend with the abcess isn't there just to give me a kick in the ass into appreciating what I have and trying to do more for other people, but I can tell you he's good at that too. Keep us updated. Stay in school
Helen McB said Tue, 25 Apr 2006 07:12PM
More basic than home Niall? You have been living on a building site for the last few months! Remember?
Norman T said Wed, 26 Apr 2006 06:26PM
Good to read that you are settling in well. Just letting you know that you are in our thoughts here at 17 Third
David Finlay said Mon, 01 May 2006 07:13PM
Hope you are not going through guitar strings too quickly, but are still playing regularly! All well here, hoping to see Andrews band on Sat night with your mum and dad and the McB's. Had great night at Dufferin Arms where paddy works. Food great, company great, Andrew & Janet there but missed you. Will speak soon. Love Finlays xo
Ciara said Tue, 09 May 2006 07:22PM
Hows things goin now Niall?! Cant wait for another update!
Craig Lutton said Thu, 18 May 2006 08:23AM
Hey buddy!! Glad to hear your keeping well and that ur settling into things in africa. Just remember, no matter what happens there are people in your beloved bangor that are thinking about you and praying for ya. U need nething, a prayer, an email just let us all know. Just remember, u can take the boy outta the grammar but u cant take the grammar outta the boy! Going to miss you at SM big lad!!
John Calvert said Sun, 28 May 2006 03:06PM
Hiya Niall, Just been able to read all about ye and to hear what's happening. Glad you're getting a few runs in mate as you were a bit slow on the pitch in Avoneil when I was torturing ye. We do miss you at the football bro, but keep up the good work and we will be praying the Lord will use you. I'll keep in touch.