It's all go at Gambella

Img_4014 Posted by David Gough on Mon, 24 Nov 2008 | Bookmark: digg this Post this to del.icio.us Post this to Facebook

The work has started at Gambella, Ethiopia on the new education and peace building programme. Thankfully the programme has been 75% funded by Irish Aid. As the construction work commences on the ground, the real challenge now is how do we raise the remaining 25%?

The church recently appointed a Project Director, Tamrat who visited Gambella in October with Bishop Andrew Proud, while the Bishop was leading TEE training. Tamrat is very practical and already has repaired computers that had blown power supplies among other things. He is more experienced than any of the other national staff and is already proving a valuable asset, building the staff’s capacity.

He has already accommodation arranged in Gambella. As well as overseeing the building work he has started networking and planning the programmes. He was involved in constructiion meetings with the project team, defining clear ways of working and decision making. He also met with Tizita, the new engineer working on the project in Gambella to review the architectural plans and bill of quantity.

To date foundations are dug for the office, but unfortunately they’re filling up with water as it’s still raining. The block making is back on course after some technical problems due to lack of guidance. Thankfully Tamrat will solve this.

There were three possible candidates for the Project Director post. The good news is that Tamrat, seems to be an excellent choice and a great addition to the team. The Bishop is confident he will help train and significantly develop the Gambella team’s capacity.

So it’s all go at Gambella at the moment! Remember CMS Ireland still has to raise the additional 25% to complete the 3 year project. Please pray that we will be able to access the necessary funding to complete this excellent and much-needed project.

Look out for the article on Ethiopia and Gambella in the latest Winter 2008 edition of CMS Ireland’s magazine inMIssion.